I’ve learned so much from our fertility journey, especially about all of the toxins hiding in our everyday products. A HUGE example of this is makeup! I had no idea about the importance of clean makeup. If I read that something was “phthalate-free” or “paraben-free” I would have thought, oh that’s nice. But, it did not affect my decision.
Parabens are potential endocrine disrupters and can mimic estrogen. They are linked to breast cancer and fertility issue! All bad! Phthalates have been linked to infertility as well as asthma, allergies, and a decrease in testosterone (which girls need too!)
It is really overwhelming and expensive to replace all of your makeup at once. I’ve been buying a few things here and there and replacing items with clean alternatives as I run out.
My go-to site is the Environmental Work Group (EWG) to check the safety of products before I purchase them. They have reviewed over 81,000 products to make it easier for us everyday consumers to make informed purchases. The highest accolade a product can receive is being “EWG Verified” meaning that the products are free from all the nasty chemicals on their no-fly list. From there they rank everything 1 (low concern) to 10 (high concern.. aka hard no).
my favorite clean makeup brands
I’ve recently found Beauty Counter and I am so glad I did! The majority of their products are EWG verified so you know they are as clean as it gets.
Top Clean Makeup products from Beauty Counter
Beauty Counter Radiant All Over is their bronzer, I recently switched to it, and I love it! I use the lightest shade, it adds the perfect amount of color. It is highly pigmented so a little goes a long way.
The Mattifying Powder has almost 1000 five-star reviews, and I agree, this stuff is magic! I work 12-hour shifts, and the mattifying powder keeps my makeup put for my whole shift! I loved the Charlotte Tilbury Genius Magic Powder it is Paraben-free, but it isn’t listed on the EWG website, so I can’t say how “clean” it is.
Bare Minerals has been a staple for me since I was fifteen when my mom bought me the starter set off QVC. I have strayed away from time to time, but always find myself coming back. I have tried almost every one of their products, and there are not many I haven’t loved.
Their website states that they are 100 % cruelty, paraben, phthalate, formaldehyde, chemical-sunscreen, triclosan, triclocarban, propylene-glycol, mineral-oil, coal tar, and microbead free. Some of their products rate higher than others on the EWG website, but all of the products below are rated a one or two.. or “green”.
The Original foundation is great, but it contains sunscreen, which I have ALWAYS considered a must because I am SUPER fair-skinned and burn easily. However, not all sunscreens are created equal. I have found that most products that contain sunscreen are rated low by EWG.
Top Clean Makeup products from BareMinerals
- Prime Time foundation primer- makes your skin silky smooth and helps your foundation go on seamlessly.
- Barepro pressed powder foundation- good buildable coverage,
- Warmth– my OG bronzer. I don’t think you can go wrong with this stuff. I’ve used the loose bronzer and the pressed powder and I liked both, but I prefer the original loose powder version. I have also used the Faux-tan, this is better for an all-over face powder, like when I get a spray tan or use my sunless tanning lotion.
- Mineral Veil– the product that made me fall in love with setting powder, ha! But really, I don’t feel like my makeup is complete without it.
- I love their mineral eye shadow powders! Queen Phyllis has been a staple in my makeup drawer since high school. These are not listed on the EWG website but are listed as paraben, sulfate, fragrance (and more) free. So I would err on the side that they are safe.
- I’ve also used the Lash Domination mascara. I can’t say it is my favorite mascara, but it’s been a while since I’ve used it. However, it is a clean option.
Tarte is another great option for clean beauty products. Their products are cruelty-free, hypoallergenic, vegan-friendly, paraben, mineral oil, phthalate, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate, and gluten-free. Like BareMinerals, not all of their products rate the same on EWG. The ones below are all a “2”.
Top Clean Makeup Products from Tarte
- Tarteist PRO Glow Highlight and Contour pallet– I got this in my first FabFitFun box, and I loved it! My only complaint would be that the contour and bronzer ran out way faster than the highlighter. But the highlight shades are beautiful and I still use them.
- Maneater Mascara– I love this mascara! It gives my lashes length and volume, and stays on all day!
- Poreless Mattifying Primer– This is the primer I am currently using, I feel like it is very similar to the BareMinerals Prime Time. It keeps my makeup in place and looking fresh longer.
This is a new company for me, I’ve only tried their Volume Mascara but I love it. It makes my lashes super long and makes my eyes pop. Another bonus is it didn’t run all over my face or give me raccoon eyes when I jumped in the lake! But, removing it is much easier than waterproof mascara (It literally takes me days to get waterproof mascara off!).
Dime is not listed on the EWG website, but their products are cruelty, paraben, sulfate, and phthalate-free. On top of that, they don’t use any of the ingredients that have been banned in the UK, that the US still allows… which is a long list. They also use sustainable options like glass and recycled and recyclable plastic, so their products are good for you and the environment, its a win-win!
They have skincare, beauty, and wellness products. I’m really excited about this brand and can’t wait to try more of their products!
Let me know if you have any questions or if you have used any other brands or products that you love!